A fundraising evening for the Northamptonshire GWCT saw 32 hip flask concotions submitted for judging
The Northamptonshire GWCT took inspiration from The Field’s Hip Flask Challenge to stage their own version.
Over 150 people attended and there were 32 entries of concoctions varying from Apple and Pear Brandy, Manx Stirrup Cup to Plum Whisky.
The evening, held at Dallas Burston’s new Ballroom raised over £3000 for the GWCT.
And The Field can reveal the winning recipe, for anyone keen to recreate it.
DAMSON GIN by Kate Hayward
Kate says the secret is to use good quality fruit – nice and plump as well as good quality gin. This makes the difference and ensures and excellent brew – cheap gin completely spoils the taste.
Take one large Kilner Jar.
- Fill a third of it full of plump damsons. Generally Kate freezes them first and puts them into the jar from frozen – this means that the skins split rather than having to hand break all the skins.
- Just cover the fruit with granulated sugar.
- Add 1 litre of gin.
- Seal the jar.
- Shake the jar once a day.
- Continue this until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Once it has dissolved leave the jar for 3-4 months.
- Strain and enjoy the fruits of your labours.
Kate also, takes the strained damsons and dips them in chocolate which make fantastic after dinner treats for adults.