Chile con carne
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) rump of beef, cut into thin strips
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 2 or 3 red-hot chillies (up to you)
- 1⁄2 bottle red wine or beef stock
- 2 cans Italian chopped tomatoes, whizzed in a blender
- 250g (9oz) cherry tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream
- Chives to garnish
Sear the beef in a big heavy pan in the oil. When the beef is browned but not cooked, take it out and put it to one side.
Add the onions, garlic, peppers and chillies to the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the wine or stock, reduce it by half and add the tomatoes (both types).
Simmer for 25 minutes, then add the beef 10 minutes before serving.
Season well and serve with sour cream and chopped chives.
(You can add bitter chocolate at the end if you wish, but only a little.)
More meat recipes in The Field