No kitchen is complete without a top-quality casserole dish in which to make favourite stews and comfort foods. Here, The Field rounds up our selection of the best casserole dishes on the market

Without doubt, casseroles are essential kit for any country kitchen, not simply for cooking up tasty game stews but for a wide array of delicious dishes. According to Field food writer Philippa Davis if one buys well, one should only need to buy once. “For me, a casserole dish needs to be sturdy enough to last a lifetime,” she says.  “It must be suitable for the hob and oven, and be attractive enough to be presented at the table. Thinking of my collection, I seem to go for ones that are brightly coloured and often cast iron but there are lots to choose from.”

Here, we guide you through the The Field‘s favourites


Samuel Groves 26cm Copper Induction Casserole Pan With Lid
An attractive copper casserole pan. One of the best for cooking large quantities

One of the best and most attractive casserole dishes around – especially for large volumes. It is made in the UK with a five-layered design that is highly durable and easy to clean. Oven safe and suitable for all hobs. For more information, click here.

Staub Oval Cast Iron Cocotte

An ergonomic black, cast-iron casserole

Bake in the oven or roast, braise or fry on any heat source with this sleek and ergonomic matte black cast iron 31 cm casserole. The design helps retain heat and maximise flavour. For more information, click here.

Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Casserole 20cm

A classic casserole from Le Creuset

On a par with an Aga when it comes to iconic pieces of country kitchen kit, this Le Creuset casserole is one of the lightest cast irons on the market and comes in a rainbow array of colours. For more information, click here.

Mauviel M’150B Oval Casserole With Lid

An extremely attractive oval casserole dish

Oversized handles give this large oval casserole real charm. It is made from 90% French copper. The other 10% is a practical, stainless-steel lining. Suitable for all hobs but induction. For more information, click here.

GreenPan Copenhagen Casserole With Lid
GreenPan's casserole dishes are chemical free

A sleek, modern casserole free of nasty chemicals (PFSAs). Non stick, oven safe up to 220C and suitable for use on an induction hob. Available in a number of sizes. For more information, click here.

De Buyer Prima Matera CI Induction Rounded Saute Casserole with Lid 

A 28cm all-surface compatible (including induction hobs) attractive copper casserole that is ideal for oven-to-table use. Furthermore it is made from 90% copper with a stainless steel inner for easy cleaning. For more information, click here.

Netherton Foundry Spun Iron Deep Oven Casserole

An iron casserole from a Shropshire foundry

A traditional, deep casserole that is compatible with all hobs and is also brilliant for baking. It has a pre-seasoned flax oil finish that becomes smoother and glossier with use. For more information, click here.

John Lewis Cast Iron Round Casserole

Best value casserole dish, a colourful blue cast iron version from John Lewis

Excellent value and colourful 21cm casserole that can be used on all hobs, including inductions. It features a smooth porcelain inner that is easy to keep clean. For more information, click here.

More essential guides from The Field

If you found this feature helpful, be sure to visit our website for other must-read round-ups of essential kit including our guides to the best hampers, best shooting coats, the best gumboots, the best sporting gilets and the best shooting shirts.

All products are independently selected by our editors. If you buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more: