PERFECT CHUNKY SALAD
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) Roosevelt or Charlotte potatoes
- 6 tbsp good mayonnaise
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 4 eggs, hardboiled, then cooled and broken up
- Handful flat-leaf parsley and some chives for garnishing
have always had a bit of a thing about potato salad – it has to be
strongly flavoured and gutsy, and when it’s good it’s the most moreish
thing out there.
This one falls into that category, I promise.
the spuds until they are just done, then let them cool and slice them
in half, lengthwise.
Mix all the bits together and leave for an hour in
the fridge to get the flavours bouncing around. Just overcome the urge
to eat it all before the picnic.
That’s about it, aside of course
from the aioli, good bread, some pickled onions, lots of cold
Gewürtztraminer (a perfect picnic white) and excellent company. Oh, and
a bit of sunshine would help a lot…