Now the rut is in full swing, stags are roaring and stalkers stalking where should you be booking for next season's sport in Scotland? Here are the places that you need to book early...from Harris to Pitlochry. Our list of where to go stalking in Scotland in 2016.
Find out where to go stalking in Scotland 2016. The most popular stalking destinations will always attract an eager crowd. So make sure you book now for next year’s fun. And if you need (unlikely, but hey…) any added inducement to take to the hill, read Duff Hart-Davis’ evocative feature on the romance of the stag, stalking red deer in the Highlands. Most importantly, if you head to one of the places listed below remember to consult our list of the 10 things to take to the hill when stalking.
STALKING IN SCOTLAND IN 2016
Most of the best forests are fully booked for this season. It is advisable to book now for 2016. Prices given here do not include VAT.
- Amhuinnsuidhe Castle Isle of Harris, Outer Hebrides HS3 3AS, tel 01859 560200, firstname.lastname@example.org. Take the whole estate for a week in September: £28,000 for 18 people. Otherwise, double rooms about £330 per night, incl packed lunch, tea and dinner. Stalking without accommodation, £400 per stag, stalker included. No stag, £100 per day.
- Letterewe Loch Maree, Achnascheen, Ross-shire IV22 2HH, tel 01445 760207, barbaraletterewe @tesco.net. Stags £480. Letterewe Lodge, £4,554 per week, maximum 17. Carnmore Lodge, £2,880 per week, maximum eight. Both self-catering.
- Forest Lodge Blair Atholl, Pitlochry PH18 5TH, tel 01796 481355. Eight miles by private track up Glen Tilt, fully catered lodge sleeps 20. A typical week in September or October, with 10 stags, costs £8,000.
- Glenaladale Glenfinnan, Fort William, Inverness-shire PH37 4LT, tel 01397 722411 . Single days or weeks. £350 per stag. Room in owner’s house from £65 per night incl breakfast, piece and dinner. Maximum six.
- Eagle Brae Struy, Beauly, Inverness-shire IV4 7LE, tel 01463 761301, 07738 076711, email@example.com. Four- and two-berth log cabins. Self-catering, £1,485 per week. Minimum two nights. Stags £415.
- East Haugh House Pitlochry, Perthshire PH16 5TE tel 01796 473121. Stags up to 11 points £595; 12 points and over £2,340. If no suitable beast seen, day £250-£300. Can do Macnabs. £129 b&b for two, 13 rooms.
- Gaick Lodge Kingussie, Inverness-shire, tel 0131 476 6500. Fully catered lodge sleeping 12, £4,250 per week. Stags £395. Walked-up grouse available.
- Conaglen Ardgour, By Fort William, Inverness-shire, PH33 7AH; www.conaglen.co.uk Two rifles per day, stags £415. Accommodation in Conaglen House for up to 12, approx £5,500 per week. Macnabs possible. Self-catering cottage with stalking, £540 per week.
- Ardechive House Achnacarry, Spean Bridge, PH34 4EL, tel 07766 694672. Early stags £475, rising to £575 in the rut. Accommodation in Clunes Lodge or Ardechive House from £600 per week.
- Weiroch Lodge Marypark, Ballindalloch, Morayshire AB37 9BP, tel 01807 500797. Self-catering, sleeps eight. One week for two guests £686, for eight, £1,147. Stags £500. Single days available.