The 21 best crosbreed dogs, from the puggle to the speagle. Which is your favourite crossbreed? Or will only a pure bred lab do?
21 best crossbreed dogs for working in the field and at home. Your taste may run to the Downton Abbey gundog, or a labrador when breeding or choosing a puppy. But for those keen to think outside the box choose one of these 21 best crossbreed dogs. The best crossbreed dogs can offer something different.
21 BEST CROSSBREED DOGS
- Lurcher – the earliest and most sensible of working crossbreeds using a greyhound, whippet or, occasionally, deerhound to add speed to an intelligent working dog, often a collie or terrier.
- Sprocker – a springer crossed with a cocker spaniel, in the hope of creating a dog with the trainability and temperament of a springer and the drive of a cocker.
- Springador (also Spanador) – springer spaniel/labrador cross, often created by accident and can bring out both the best and worst of both breeds.
- Labradoodle – a cross between a labrador and poodle, very trendy, looks stunning (like an Italian Spinone), with good temperament and reduced shedding of coat (helpful to allergy sufferers).
- Weimardoodle (Weimaraner x poodle) – along the same thinking as the Labradoodle, but this hasn’t made an impact as a working dog.
- Cockerdoodle/cockerpoo – cocker spaniel/poodle cross, very popular as an assistance dog because of its small size, trainability, affectionate temperament and reduced coat-shedding, but of doubtful use in the field.
- Toodles (various) – a poodle crossed with any of the terrier breeds.
- Jackadoodle (Jack Russell x poodle).
- Westdoodle or Westiepoo (West Highland terrier x poodle).
- Whoodle (Wheaten terrier x poodle). Very popular in the horse world, notable toodles include Basil, owned by three-day event doyenne Lucinda Green.
- Oodles (various) – a poodle crossed with show/utility breeds.
- Schnoodle (Schnauzer x poodle).
- Spoodle (show springer spaniel x poodle).
- Shipoo (shih-tzu x poodle).
- Cavapoo (Cavalier King Charles spaniel x poodle).
- Chipoo (Chihuahua x poodle). Poodles are by far the most popular breed for crossing because of the non-shedding coat – and the fun of thinking up “oodle” names for the resultant cross.
- Pyrakita – a Pyrenean mountain dog crossed with a Japanese akita. Why?
- Puggle – a pug crossed with a beagle (possibly in an attempt to reduce ugliness).
- Speagle (spaniel x beagle). Beagle crosses are popular in the States, where Sylvester Stallone is a puggle fancier.
- Dorgi – a dachshund crossed with a corgi, by Royal approval, of course.
- Bichon Frisé x West Highland terrier – no name yet, perhaps Frizzie? Suggestions on a postcard, please.