This recipe is almost too simple and tasty to believe, baking a camembert-style cheese with truffle is deliciously easy
- 1 whole Tunworth cheese or similar camembert-type cheese
- 5g (1⁄4oz) fresh truffle, sliced
- A little white truffle oil
For the pickled girolles
- 500ml (171⁄2fl oz) white wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- Juice of half a lemon
- 6 black peppercorns
- 150g (5oz) demerara sugar
- 250g (9oz) cleaned and trimmed girolles
- Buckler sorrel leaves
- Slices toasted hazelnut bread
Split the cheese in half horizontally to make two “rounds”. Shave some fresh truffle over one half of the cheese to give a generous covering, then drizzle a little white truffle oil over it. Carefully replace the other half of the cheese on top, then add a few extra truffle shavings over this and rewrap. Leave for a couple of days to “reset” and use as required.
For the pickled girolle mushrooms, gently warm together the white wine vinegar bay leaves, lemon juice, peppercorns and sugar, then simmer for 2-3 minutes before adding the mushrooms and removing from the heat. Allow to cool and use as required. Store the juice in a jar.
Serve at room temperature. Garnish with some citrusy Buckler sorrel, warm, toasted hazelnut bread and a sprinkle of the pickled girolles.